On Saturday, April 7th, we were honored to attend the "Dressed to Kilt" event at the inauguration of the Million Air Houston facility at Hobby Airport in Houston, Texas. Traditionally hosted in New York City, Dressed to Kilt is the largest and most prominent Scottish fashion event in the world.
The Man of the Evening was Jim McIngvale (aka "Mattress Mack"), who was acknowledged for being one of Houston's heroes for his commitment to helping the community, his effort with Hurricane Harvey relief fundraising and his national and local humanitarian presence.
Other Dressed to Kilt heroes that received recognition were:
- Trae Tha Truth - Houston Rapper and Hurricane Harvey Evangelist
- Marcus & Melanie Luttrell - Marcus is the founder of the Lone Survivor Foundation and a former Navy SEAL, who received the Navy Cross and Purple Heart for his actions in June 2005 against Taliban fighters during Operation Red Wings.
- Dignitaries of Dressed to Kilt included Viscount William Garnock, Scottish Royalty and Liz Hanna, direct descendant of John Muir.
Some local champions that received acknowledgment at the event were:
- Eve Muirhead, Olympic Medalist for Curling
- Carl Lewis, 9x Olympic Gold Medal Track & Field Champion, 1x Olympic Silver medal and 10 World Championship medals, including eight golds.
Dressed to Kilt models who walked the runway included:
- Cindy Burbano - MEGA 101 FM - Houston Hispanic Radio Morning Show DJ
- Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram - YouTube Celebrity and Raw Food Vegan Influencer (1M followers)
- Karen Bell - British Consul General
- Bob Cavnar - Houston's Mister "Kilt"
- Mike Thornton - former Navy SEAL and Medal of Honor recipient
- Anna & Kevin Kelly - Father-daughter duo of Kevin's Fine Outdoor Gear & Apparel
- Viscount William Garnock - Scottish Royalty - Scotland's Most Eligible Bachelor
- Brittany Hebert - Houston President CEO/Sky High Charity for Children - Benefiting St. Jude and Childhood Cancer
- Lea Gabrielle - Fox News journalist, former Navy fighter pilot, national personality
- Liz Hanna - direct descendant of John Muir
- Judge Kathryn Cabiness - Republican judge of the 248th District Court in Texas
- Rita Benson - Co-owner of the New Orleans Saints
- Staci Henderson - Houston Socialite and Philanthropist, Founder of Joy Box Flowers
- Shanna Quinn - Co-owner Social Graces/Houston's Philanthropic Fetes, assisted in promotion of event
- Pavan Grover - Partner with Mark Wahlberg in one of the top movie studios in Hollywood, The Ranch
- Giovanni Silva - ACTOR in Oblivion, Maze Runner, Jack Reacher, Terminator Genisys, Olympus Has Fallen, Ender's Game
- Travis Dunn - Producing PARTNER of Robert Rodriguez, the LEGENDARY film director/producer of Spy Kids movies, Sin City, and more
- Fabiola Colmenares - LA Actress
- Marianna Corcoran - Houstonia Magazine
- Andrew Cullen - Scottish 9/11 Survivor
- Sage Northcutt - starring in the next Rocky movie from Sylvester Stallone, national celebrity spokesperson for Reebok
- Kirk Shireman - Program Manager for the ISS program (NASA)
- Jennifer Reyna - KPRC Traffic and Midday Anchor
- Trae Tha Truth - American hip hop recording artist
- Eve Muirhead - Scottish curler from Blair Atholl, bronze medal winner at 2014 Winter Olympics, 2013 World Champion
- Dan Crenshaw - Former Navy Seal, Houston
- Houston Fire Department (HFD) First Responders
- Houston Police Department (HPD) First Responders
The HFD's Pipe & Drum Marching Band, the British American Business Committee, Scottish Development International, the St. Thomas Episcopal High School Pipe & Drum Marching Band, and the Big Easy Ranch were also included in the Dressed to Kilt event.
The beneficiaries of the 2018 Dressed to Kilt event are the Lone Survivor Foundation and the Navy SEAL Foundation. The Houston-based Lone Survivor Foundation provides therapeutic retreats for service members and their families. The Navy SEAL Foundation is committed to America's elite warriors, supporting Navy SEALS, their community and providing support to the families of the Navy SEALS in times of illness, injury and loss. Kevin's is honored to support these two very important charities and to be part of this legendary event.